Would you like a few pointers on how to extend the lifespan of your siding?
Home exterior upkeep is essential, and it doesn’t have to cost you a fortune or take lots of time. Some siding materials require more maintenance than others, but none of it’s overwhelming. Follow these tips and your siding will have a terrific chance of outliving its warranty coverage by several years.
General Upkeep Advice for Home Siding
- Perform Routine Inspections
- This is the most important DIY task for homeowners, regardless of the type of siding on your home. You should inspect for holes, cracks, pests, and other damage almost continuously with vinyl or wood siding. Even with more durable materials like fiber cement or steel, you should inspect annually.
- Clean or Wash Siding Materials
- It’s a great idea to powerwash your siding every so often. Vinyl siding, in particular, can accumulate algae and black mold rather fast. If you find wasp nests and lots of other debris during your inspections, then you know you need to do some cleaning. Some folks call professional cleaning services to do this task, especially on larger homes.
- Keep Your Siding Clear of Obstructions
- By obstructions, we mean everything from trees and shrubs to lawn-care equipment that could inadvertently hit your siding. External forces are a significant factor for determining your siding’s lifespan, so don’t let bushes run against them and cause damage.
- Paint as Necessary
- In the next section, we’ll talk about the painting requirements for fiber-cement materials. However, even the other varieties, like engineered wood, benefit from painting or other treatments.
Specific Maintenance Requirements for James Hardie Siding
As you know, we’re huge proponents of James Hardie Siding, the fiber-cement boards you’ll find on many classy homes throughout Chicagoland. The good news is that you don’t have to re-paint your siding often, but you will need to eventually, often within about 10 to 20 years. The best paint for the job is exterior-grade acrylic paint.
With power washing, you have some advantages here, too. Since fiber cement is among the most durable materials, it can withstand a higher water PSI. So, you can detail it extensively and maintain exterior curb appeal all the time.
Proper Installation: The Key to a Longer Lifespan for Your Siding
Especially for premium siding, you can’t afford to hire an amateur for installation work. That alone could cost you five to 10 years on the life of your siding. If, for example, an installation crew failed to secure the boards or let some overhang, then the materials would be even more vulnerable to warping or weather damage.
Also, if you haven’t already, read through one of our older posts on how to avoid bad contractors. Never resign yourself to inferior workmanship or settle for a contractor that lacks the training to install premium materials like James Hardie Siding.
Hire All Star Products to Guarantee a Longer Lifespan of Your Siding
You can count on outstanding workmanship from our crews that arrive on time for every home re-siding project. So, if you want to extend your siding lifespan, we’re the best contract company for long-lasting quality and protection. Our services come heavily recommended from our previous clients who leave lots of positive testimonials.
Homeowners also rely on our dedicated window and door services to maintain the life expectancy of those components as well. All Star Products offers the Chicago area’s best replacement and repair services for any of those important items.
If you found these tips for improving the lifespan of your siding helpful, we hope you’ll contact us the next time you need help with your home siding.